A posh word for how the club is run. Not the most exciting subject but vitally important to ensure:
- everyone is fencing in a safe environment
- the hall is hired at a rate we can afford and meets our requirements
- coaches are in place, deployed effectively and paid
- competitions organised
- equipment working and safe
- social events organised and
- that we don’t go broke!
There are three key elements.
- SwordMark – Standards jointly defined by Sport England and British Fencing as to how the club is run and, in particular, how the welfare and protection of young people is managed. More on the Parents page
- Blackheath Fencing Club Constitution 2017 – ‘The Rules’. It implements the SwordMark standards and sets out other rules for managing the club. Changes have to be agreed by the club in a General Meeting. The usual one is the Annual General Meeting which is held in February of each year.
- The Managing Committee (the MC) – elected at the AGM to run the club
SwordMark is a nationally recognised accreditation ie like being a chartered accountant or surveyor or other professional person.
It is a large but important body of documentation. The MC are working to implement it’s requirements and become one of the few clubs in the country with this accreditation. It reassures parents and grant providers that clubs are run to certain standards. We have had an initial review of our Swordmark work and are now implementing it.
We hope to achieve full accreditation in the next few months