The Data Protection Act 2018 implemented the General Data Protection Rules (GPDR) and others applicable to the UK only.
What we do with the Member data we keep
The lawful basis for keeping data is your consent during completion of the Membership form and/or signing to the email list. By completing the membership form you (should) automatically be added to the email list
The data you provide or later entered by club officers is used to:
- notify you of tasters, courses, club dates, competitions, events related to fencing and club branded merchandise.
- help us manage the club on a day to day basis eg payment information, courses attended, competition results, coaching records where a coaching plan exists, etc
- comply with legal and local authority requirements
- assist us and the public emergency services in the event you fall ill or have an accident
- apply for grants in aggregate form (ie we do not use your personal details)
It will be stored on an internet server and is protected by internet security protocols such as encryption (SSL and ‘salts’, ie random codes), strong passwords, other security software and hardware such as firewalls
The information will be accessible only to Club Officers, Lead Coach, the Social and Competition Secretaries and other Committee members only, as required for their duties or as required for medical treatment.
We will not give your details to another member or to another organisation without your permission.
Updating your information
- You will be sent an email as part of the club registration process. This contains a link which will enable you to update the information you have provided (Mar18, currently not working properly. Use the contact page).
- If you lose this you can request a replacement or we can send you another.
- Our Data Protection Officer is the Club Secretary
Deleting your data
- If you leave the club you can ask us to delete your personal data by email or via the Contact page
- All emails sent from the club’s email list management system have an Unsubscribe option
- We will also delete personal data if you have not attended the club for 3 clear years
- We may keep enough data to assess changes in our membership numbers but only enough for statistical analysis. eg, dates of starting, leaving, gende, age and reason for leaving.
These are little files that are stored on your computer. Without them the website may not work but you can turn them off if you like in your browser options. They also help us monitor how the website is used and if you have visited before.
When you register with the club as a member or to register your children as members you give permission for photographs of the member to be taken and published on the club website or related channels such as YouTube and Flickr. These will be disguised or removed on request. See Deleting your data, above
British Fencing has a policy that all photographers register at competitions or events where young people (18 or under) are present and a register will be provided for you to complete.
You can contact us about your information at the club or via our Contact page
Phew! Thank you. Now you can go back to the rest of the website and Go Fencing!