(For training for existing fencers see Fencers Corner)
We have all seen the films, Zorro, Three Musketeers, Prisoner of Zenda, Princess Bride even James Bond and felt the excitement and thrill that comes from those deftly manipulated blades! It was Zorro (1960′s series…) that inspired me to start fencing at age 11. And I am still at it… decades later!
You must remember that you are watching stage fencing in those cases but modern fencing is just as exciting and Fencing is Fun!
If you are 16 or under then look at the Musketeer’s page but if you are 17 or over then an Adult beginners course is for you.
Beginners Courses for Adults
We have been running these since 2008, they are very popular so you need to book early. A £50 deposit does the trick. The courses are between 7.30 and 9.30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays and include:
- All equipment
- Full time qualified coach
- 9 weeks group training plus 3 weeks individual training (Tuesdays)
- or 6 weeks group training plus extension to full membership for £20 (Thursdays from Jan 2014)
- Electric fencing
- Club membership for the whole term
- Fencing others from day 1
- Courses start in September, New Year and after Easter (for dates of the next course see News) Max of 12 per course.
- You need to bring: T-shirt (plus one to change into), loose trousers, tracksuit bottoms or stretchy leggings and trainers. Legs and arms must be covered. And bring a bottle of water or squash!
Cost for Tuesday 9 week course is £95 per person. For full-time students and unwaged it is £75.
Cost for Thursday 6 week course is £60 with extension to full membership £20
Our standard fees are £80 and £60 per term for concessions respectively
Download the Course Details (see below) which should give you all the information you need but you are welcome to contact us for any other information.
Not sure if fencing is for you? Come to a taster session held on the first day of every term. Check News for dates. We cannot guarantee you a place on that term’s course, as they may be booked by then, but we can book you into the following one if that is the case.
Also do have a look at our Is it Safe? page which will open in a new window/tab which you can close to return here.
Adult beginners Blackheath Fencing Club Training Information 2013
To apply for Taster and/or Adult training please register online.
“An exciting course in a sociable and welcoming atmosphere. Looking forward to coming back next term.” Stuart (beginners course Autumn ’12)
Out of 48 adults trained Sept’12 to Easter ’13, 19 have become full members!